Updated: Nov 3, 2020
There is no doubt that in the last few years there has been an explosion in awareness about tongue ties. ✋ Even I didn't know much about them 3 years ago. The problem is that there has also been an explosion in providers offering frenectomies, and the vast majority of them have Very. Little. Training.
You know how I know this? FB groups. Every single day I see posts from people asking their peers for advice and instructions about frenectomies. My question is, where are their providers!? I understand that you may want different perspectives from others who have gone through it, and that's the beauty of FB 👍, but they should not be your primary source of education. Not to mention that half of the advice given in these groups is, though well-intentioned, just plain wrong, because they also got their information from their peers whose providers did not properly educate them. It's a vicious cycle.
So here is my list of questions for you to ask when searching for a frenectomy provider:
1. What education have you had specifically relating to oral tethers❓
2. What recent conferences or classes have you attended❓
3. Is it a posterior tongue tie❓
4. Do you check for buccal ties❓
5. What is your protocol for pre-frenectomy❓
6. What is your protocol for post-frenectomy❓
7. What do you recommend for pain management❓
8. What additional resources and referrals will my child need for best results or if we continue to struggle post-frenectomy❓
9. If using a laser, what type of laser do you use❓