During pregnancy a woman experiences an intimate connection with her body. During this time a woman goes through a series of changes, both in her metabolism and in her mind. Massage therapy can promote optimum health of both body and mind thus providing a better environment for the growth of the child inside.
Top Ten Reasons Why Massage Therapy is beneficial to pregnant women during pregnancy and postpartum:
1. Provides a pregnant woman with the experience of loving, nurturant touch.
2. Relief from muscle spasms, cramps, pain and fatigue.
3. Increases blood and lymph circulation.
4. Alleviates stress on weight-bearing joints.
5. Helps develop the sensory awareness and increased kinesthetic learning about a tight muscle versus a relaxed muscle thus helping the mother prepare for the labor and delivery process.
6. Provides emotional and physical nurturing.
7. Through relaxation, assists the mother in achieving deeper, more restful sleep and alleviating the often present insomnia especially in the second and third trimesters.
8. Can help relieve many of the other normal discomforts of pregnancy; backache, stiff neck, sore and tired ankles and feet, headache, edema, etc.
9. Massage can alleviate tension in the body allowing mother to focus her energy elsewhere.
10. Support for the new mother with the physical and emotional strains of mothering.
A woman’s body undergoes a lot of physical and mental strain during the process of delivery. Regular massage can help the body heal and restore. Postpartum Massage can be as important and beneficial as massage during pregnancy. Postpartum bodywork is an effective and holistic approach for helping to adjust to motherhood. Massage is well known for encouraging relaxation, stress reduction, pain relief and other health benefits. Unique postpartum benefits include hormone regulation, reduced swelling, better sleep, improved breastfeeding and may add welcome value to your healing journey and your transition to motherhood.
While massage therapy during pregnancy is not intended to replace appr